Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Memory in Gooey Chocolate

I got home from work and we shared our days over a dinner of left-over pot roast.  Yum.  We start doing the dishes together, while Ryan does something on the computer and Dad looks at me and says..."Brownies?"  I said sure.  No problem.  So I got all of the ingredients out as Dad went in the bedroom and Ryan to his room to practice the trumpet. 

As I am putting all of the ingredients in the bowl and start to mix it together, I start thinking about all of the memories I have of my mother and her famous brownies. 

My mom was the brownie queen.  For all of my parent weeks for dance she made brownies for all of the kids and parents in my classes.  She made them for every single trip for me and Ryan with the choir and band.  She was famous for them.  All of my friends were hooked, she made the best brownies in town.

I can remember helping put the chocolate chips in the batter, crushing the walnuts as we went. I can remember helping to stir the batter with her behind me guiding my hands, careful enough not to spill it.  I can remember the batter fights we used to have and being the first one's to take the first bite.  I can remember staying up late to get every batch done and ready to go for the morning.  I can remember how she smelled of melted chocolate after we were finished.  And while we waited for them to bake we would take the beaters from the blender and licking them clean.

I could picture it all.  oh wait, they are done.  They aren't my mother's but they are a close second best.  They will never be as good as hers, because she never told me her secret ingredient.  But that is ok, because for the first 23 years of my life I had them their waiting for me when I got home, or did something worth justifying making a pan of them.  These are some of my happy memories.  I am glad to share them with you, and I am glad that I have them to cherish for the rest of my life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment