Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

American Pie

My mom and I used to listen to this song all the time.  Its called American Pie and its sung by Don Mclean.  This is one of our favorite songs.  Every time this song came on the radio we would crank up the volume and roll down the windows, no matter what season it was.  This song has a long of meaning to it.  For me the music sorta died with my mother.  She was my driving force, and I will continue to listen to it, but it will never be the same for me.  

This song meant so much to my mother, and it is because of the mysterious meaning behind it.  Don Mclean never actually gave his meaning of it, he left it open to interpretation.  My mom always said that this song was written for Buddy Holley.  "Buddy and Don were the best of friends and when Buddy suddenly died Don said that the music died with him."  Now whether or not that all is actually true or not doesn't matter, what does it that this song touched my mom in her soul.  This song had meaning to her.  I don't quite know why and I never will, at least until I meet her in heaven myself.  

This song is a favorite of mine for many reasons.  One:  Its was one of my moms favorites...obviously.  Two:  Its a really good song.  Three:  There is a really good meaning, if you know how to pick them out of the song.  And finally reason number Four:  There is a hidden meaning that speaks to all of us.  If you think about it, where would our civilization be without music?  What do we use music for?  

In ancient times music was meant to symbolize many different things, from a marrige, death, rain dances to the start of a war.  Music is another language.  It is the UNIVERSAL language that everyone understands, from us down to the smallest organism.  Music is in our blood, and with out it our world would not exist. 

Take a second and think about how many times a day you listen to music, be it on the radio, your iPod or iPad, or even in a movie.  Music in movies are used to emphasize certain elements, like sorrow or fear or happiness.  Do you actually think you could figure out what is really happening in a movie without music...see if you really can...its hard.  Now how long do you listen to music?  Have you ever heard of someone calling your heartbeat the music of the body?  Well that's not only the music of your body.  Your breathing makes a rhythm as well as the way you walk, your voice even makes music.  You may not notice it, but it does.  

Music has become such an important part of our lives.  It is the soundtrack.  It is so meaningful.  Without music, we would all be mutes without a way of expressing our feelings about each other.  Guys, How many times have you used a song to tell your significant other that you love them?  Girls, How many times have related your life to a song?  Music is very important.  We would not be this far advanced without it.

So the next time you listen to music think about someone that you shared it with, be it your mom or dad, boyfriend or girlfriend, brother, or sister, or a friend.  Cherish every moment that you have with your loved ones and when they are gone, sure your are really going to miss them, but think back on the music that you shared, and maybe it will help you out.  

I made a cd of my mom's favorite music to play at her memorial, and I haven't stop listening to it since I made it.  It reminds me of her and sometimes I can almost see her rocking out to all of it....

No comments:

Post a Comment